Keeping Kids Active In Summer
By Rhonda Dumas, CF-L1
CrossFit Algiers Coach
Summer is a great time to up your fitness game. The weather is warmer and normal routines are more relaxed. It’s also a great time to get the kids involved in more activities as well. Here’are some top picks on how to keep the kids active during the summer:
- Find a local swimming pool and get a summer pass. Get a pass for the entire family and get in a few relaxing laps after work
- I Find a local summer sports league and sign the kids up. Most leagues start as young as 5 years old. This is a great opportunity to try out different activities before fully commuting.
- Find community exercise events and attend as a family. Many organizations like Move Ya Brass host free events on the weekend that the entire family can attend together.
- Go on a family walk or hike. Visit the local park or nature reserve. See how many different animals or plants you can identify.
- Go for a long bike ride. New Orleans is quickly growing as one of the cities with the most designated bike paths. Use this as an opportunity to explore the city.
- Have the kids help plant a garden. Section off a small area for them to plant and grow their own plants and vegetables.
- Sign up for a cooking class together. If you have older children this is an great way for them to learn to prepare healthy meals and snacks. Have them use the herbs and vegetables grown in their own garden.
The idea is to lessen screen time and spend more time together doing things that may create great habits for the future. Enjoy!
2019 06 12