How to Rock Your Social Life Without Ruining Your Fitness
by India Reuben
Becoming healthier and living a healthy lifestyle can be tough at times but not impossible. Often times we restrict ourselves due to the fear of failure or because of our past relationship with food. For family events we worry about unhealthy foods being forced on us for various reasons—not wanting to be rude when declining food, not wanting our family to question our eating habits, not wanting to explain our reason for cutting back or scaling down.
Enjoying your family or friends doesn’t have to be a struggle.
Here are some quick tips on navigating being a healthy socialite.
- Have a pre-game plan: Find out the menu beforehand so you’re already aware of what fits your way of eating. You can carry small snacks with you that way you’re covered or eat a small healthy snack or meal before you go. You should never feel deprived or hungry when socializing. That can only lead to eating the wrong things which is what you’re trying to avoid.
- Surround yourself with Like-Minded People: This is super important. Not all peer pressure is bad. Here at CrossFit Algiers, we have a community outing each month. We invest in each other
outside the gym, but are still supportive of each other’s health and wellness goals while doing so.
- Drink Responsibly: You don’t have to give up alcohol completely, just tweak your consumption of it by opt for a lower calorie drink using diet soda or soda water as a mixer while drinking
- Share the calories: When going out to eat, split appetizers and entrees to reduce calories. That way you get to enjoy without over indulging and feeling guilty afterwards.
- Bring A Dish: If you’re going to a celebration that’s taking place at a friend or family member’s home, bring a dish that fits your way of eating. You’d be surprised at how a healthy and delicious dish can become a proud pleaser to the harshest critic.
So remember, you don’t have to give up your social life to maintain your healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle is supposed to be effortless and not a chore. Get creative. Get organized and most of all, have fun!
2019 06 28